Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Favourite Reads

It's October. It's that time of the year where it's Spring here in Australia and Fall/Autumn in the Northern Hemisphere; and it's the perfect temperatures everywhere to settle in and read a book without either sweating in the heat or freezing the snow.

It's also the time I get out some of my favourite books to read again... yeah, I love to reread books sometimes. Now, I haven't read that many books this year; but I did get through a few in a month or two over June or so when I had Laryngitis... and that was good. I'm reading other books over the last month; and have just begun 'Lisey's Story' by Stephen King - a great book I've had on my shelves for over a year; and yet I haven't read it yet.

I thought to add to this post a list of my favourite books as well, so you guys can see what I love to read otherwise. Some of these are books I've read years ago, while others have been recently added on.

'84 Charing Crossing Road' by Helene Hanff
'The Stand' by Stephen King
'Jigs & Reels' by Joanne Harris
'Time and Again' by Jack Finney
'The Wave' by Moreton Rue
'A Patch of Blue' by Elizabeth Kata
'Somewhere In Time' by Richard Matheson
'From A Buick 8' by Stephen King
'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Trilogy In Four Parts' by Douglas Adams
'The Day of the Triffids' by John Wyndham
'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson
'The Spare Room' by Helen Garner
'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde
'I Know Why the Cage Bird Sings' by Maya Angelou
'The Monkey's Mask' by Dorothy Porter
'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury
'Love Is A Mixed Tape' by Rob Sheffield
'He Died With A Felafel In His Hand' by John Birminham
'Other Colours' by Orhan Pamuk
'Old Man and the Sea' by Ernest Hemmingway
'Red Dog' by Louis de Berneires 
'The Bee-Loud Glade' by Steve Himmer

I've read about 9 of these books more than once; simply because the author has that wonderful way of pulling me in as a reader. This is something I've been working on doing as a writer myself over the years I've been writing books, stories and poetry - and believe me, when the hook and the story reads effortlessly, that's when you know it's been worked on the most. 

So, which books have you read the most from your collection? Or do you read a book once and that's it, you move onto the next ones in your Mt TBR pile? Until my next post, happy reading.

2 comments:

  1. I've only read two books on your favorites list! I've read 'I Know Why the Cage Bird Sings' by Maya Angelou twice. I am a huge Maya Angelou fan and saw her speak live twice before at speaking engagements. She was a phenomenal speaker who would sing, dance, and recite poetry... Along with telling great stories.

    I've also read 'A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' for a book group and sadly, I don't understand the appeal of this novel. It just isn't for me.

    I've read a few books more than once... I'd love to reread more often but always feel a bit guilty for not reading the huge books stacked around my home calling for me to read them!

    Anyway, here's a list of books that I've read more than once:

    'I Know Why the Cage Bird Sings' by Maya Angelou
    '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea' by Jules Verne
    'A Hero of Our Time' by Mikhail Lermontov
    'And Then There Were None' by Agatha Christie
    'Dead Souls' by Nikolai Gogal
    'The Mysterious Affair At Styles' by Agatha Christie

    I'm sure there are more books I've read more than once, but these are the immediate ones that come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah yes, with Douglas Adams, you have to have a certain sense of humour to get him. My folks really don't get him either. But I do find him hilarious... and I love the new movie they did of his as well. I've also read some of his other books and followed the detective agency tv series they made - which was weird and wonderful at the same time.

      Right now, I'm reading a good thick book; and I love reading those tomes, they're often just lovely to get into.

      Delete