Tuesday, August 18, 2015

When Do You Start Reading to the Young?

I've been looking around on the net and found an article about reading to our youngest readers of all - our children - the most important thing to do to make them better at school and in life. 

In this link here, I have read a well-researched article where they have said that reading to children well before school and prep is the best way to assist them into learning to read and learning better skills before they acquire them naturally.

This is something I totally believe in; as when I was a child, I taught myself to read aged 4 years old. But before that, my parents did read to my brother and me. So, it's proof we are from a family of big readers. 

So, what do you think? Is reading to very young children a good thing? Or do you think we should let them come to it naturally and through school? Until my next post, happy reading.

6 comments:

  1. Reading to the young is essential. Do not make reading a chore for kids, but get them interested in reading at an early age... The earlier the better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true... we got my niece, Riley into books very early. But she lamented that she couldn't read... I remember sitting down at her 4th birthday with a pile of books she had received saying: 'Well, there's nothing better than being read to, Riley. You must remember that books and what are inside them are pure magic... and once you learn to read - at the right time, of course, you'll understand what magic we've enjoyed from them.'

      A few years later, she was totally enjoying the books I bought her every year. :D

      Delete
  2. When Do You Start Reading to the Young?

    As soon as you can hold both the child and a book in your lap at the same time. Even if he (or she) can't understand the words, he will know your voice, and the cadence will be loving and reassuring for him. When he becomes old enough to look at pictures, share picture books with him. Point to each one and name it. Maybe he can't say the names with you at first, but babies are learning, learning, learning - all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true! I read to one of my friends' kids last week and she loved it, pointing out the pictures and naming things as I read along... and she's only 2 years old. :D

      Delete
    2. You've inspired me to write a blog post about reading to children. :-)
      A Child Who Reads

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's wonderful FancyHorse. :D

      Delete