Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Posthumous Reading

Last week, we lost a great man in our lives:  Nelson Mandela.  He touched our lives throughout many generations and will never be forgotten over future generations; so long we make sure our children and grand-children know who he is and what he has done for Africa and her people and anyone else who has lived in oppressive situations.
However, over the last month, we also lost Doris Lessing.  She was around the same age as Nelson Mandela and contributed to literature in such a way we will miss her as well.

I own a few of these people's books and have made plans to read some of their writings over the Christmas holidays while I'm down the coast and when I return home.  I have 'Under My Skin' and 'The Golden Notebook' by Doris Lessing.  Then, I have 'Nelson Mandela: The Authorised Book of Quotations' by Himself and 'Conversations With Myself' by Nelson Mandela.  All these books will be great additions to my Mt TBR over this coming holiday season.

I do have other books which are sitting in my bookcases of actors, singers and writers who are no longer with us as well, most of which I haven't read either.  However, seeing how recent these most interesting and important people are - and have been - in my life, I thought to add them to my suitcase to take away on holidays.  So, what are you hoping to pack on your holidays?  Are they similar reads to mine or are they a little lighter than what I've chosen?  Until my next post, happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I've selected lighter reads during the month of December as I'm pretty busy this month with the Holiday season and living life... Although, not as busy as I should be this time of year... I've barely begun my holiday shopping. I just finished signing my holiday cards today and will mail off this afternoon. But no worries, it'll all get done.

    As far as reading goes, I've been reading cozy mystery novels or short novellas in eBook format as of late.

    ReplyDelete