Saturday, August 21, 2010

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell


From the back cover:  'Six interlocking lives - one amazing adventure.  In a narrative that circles the globe and reaches from the 19th Century to a post-apocalyptic future, David Mitchell erases the boundaries of time, genre and language to offer an enthralling vision of humanity's will to power, and where it will lead us.'

I love reading unusual books; but this one just hasn't done it for me.  It's got all the hooks and wonderful bits I'd expect from an usual text but it took too long to pull me in with too many characters to keep a track of.  I found myself feeling dragged down and not wanting to read it when I really did need to get going with it.  So, I haven't finished this book and moved onto another.

Born in Southport in 1969, David Mitchell grew up in Malvern, Worcestershire, studying for a degree in English and American Literature followed by an MA in Comparative Literature, at the University of Kent. He lived for a year in Sicily before moving to Hiroshima, Japan, where he taught English to technical students for eight years, before returning to England.
His first novel, Ghostwritten (1999).  His second novel, number9dream (2001), was shortlisted for the 2002 Man Booker Prize for fiction.  His third novel, Cloud Atlas (2004) was shortlisted for the 2004 Man Booker Prize for Fiction, and was followed by Black Swan Green (2006).

David Mitchell lives in Ireland. His most recent book is The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet (2010).

2 comments:

  1. Thesis writing: I'm so happy you're enjoying my blog. I've only been going at this for a little over a year but I do enjoy it.
    It's feedback you like yours that keeps me going with this venture and keeps me positively thinking in the right directions. Thank you so much!

    Mozette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from 365 Project. You sent me your URL so I decided I'd take a look at your "Book" blog. It's great - lots of information and teasers for books that I need to take a look at or suggest to my husband. You have so many interests - makes life so rewarding! Great blog - I'll visit again. I too am a blogger - not like this...mine started as a family history of sorts and now has turned into my journal. I use some of my photos from the 365 project too. And I use some of the experiences I've had on 365 too - not everyone leaves as nice a compliment as you! Oh well,that's life. I just wanted you to know I had stopped by! If you'd like to check out my blog it's at http://mama-mll.blogspot.com/

    Have a great day and see you on 365 Project.

    Carolyn R (Carolyn Riner)

    ReplyDelete