Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Bella Swan has made a major decision: she's going to live with her Dad in Forks. Forks is a small town far away from Arizona where she is used to the brilliant sunshine, being at a massively-populated high school and pretty much in amongst a huge city. When she arrives, she realises she may have made a big mistake; but she wants to get to know Charlie - her Dad, who's the police Chief of Forks. And so, Bella begins school, puts up with the slow dial-up internet and the huge, noisy truck that almost dies when she pushes it to go over 50 miles an hour. A guy at school catches her eye. He's tall, beautiful and has the most gorgeous topaz eyes; but he won't give her the time of day. Edward Cullen notices her in a heartbeat, and finds from day one, he's forever rescuing her from herself; or is it something else?

After all the hype about how great this book was and how brilliantly written, I began hearing how much like 'popcorn for the mind' it was also. So, like any teenaged vampire series, I decided not read it. However, fate changed that when my parents came across some poor person's birthday gift scattered across the parking lot of a park one afternoon; and this book was amongst the notebooks and stickers. So, of course, I took it in and put it onto my shelves; not thinking much of it at the time - until I received a parcel in the mail with 'New Moon' inside it with other books also. So, I folded and read this book. By the end, I felt very let down. Yes, I zoomed through in a week; but it didn't have the big tension I was expecting a vampire novel to have - even if it was for teenagers. I'm afraid to say, but I have read better.


Stephenie Meyer graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in English Literature and now lives with her husband and three sons in Glendale, Arizona.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, poor kid! (I mean the one who lost her birthday present, not Bella.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... I feel horrible for the present-less birthdayer! Even worse for the friend who probably felt humiliated standing there "Oh I SWEAR I brought you a present... where'd it go!?!?"

    Yeah... I haven't read Twilight. I've heard enough from my (rabid fangirl) friends to know I would hate it, and most likely create some sort of altar to sacrifice it on.... haha.

    -Jesse

    ReplyDelete