Friday, November 27, 2009

The Day It Rained Forever by Ray Bradbury

I have to tell the truth with this one, I have never read any of his books until I received this one in the mail early this month. And the moment I began reading it later that afternoon, I found myself absolutely pulled into his style and his wonderful flexibility with his stories. Each story has a different feel and style from one to the other; and that's how a good story-teller should be. What I also found is that Ray Bradbury didn't bury me with too much detail or make his writing heavy with too many repetitive and descriptive words. And this is the magic about his work; even though I'm only just now delving into his books. Now, though, I'd like to read longer works he's written; not just his short stories, I want to see if his words have the same effect as they do in his short stories.

Ray Bradbury
was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He became a full-time writer in 1943, and contributed numerous short stories to periodicals before publishing a collection of them, Dark Carnival, in 1947.
On the occasion of his 80th birthday in August 2000, Bradbury said, "The great fun in my life has been getting up every morning and rushing to the typewriter because some new idea has hit me. The feeling I have every day is very much the same as it was when I was twelve. In any event, here I am, eighty years old, feeling no different, full of a great sense of joy, and glad for the long life that has been allowed me. I have good plans for the next ten or twenty years, and I hope you'll come along."

No comments:

Post a Comment