Tuesday, August 28, 2012

August Book Buys!

This month, I've been pretty good.  However, I've also received books from friends and relatives as well, so really the collection has grown quite a bit through no fault of my own.  I'll start with the books I have bought this month and then moved onto the ones I have been given. 
On the first day of this month, I bought a major book of The Dark Tower Series - which I've gotten my nose into and love totally.  It was 'The Wastelands' by Stephen King that I bought from K-Mart and have yet to read; as I'm racing through 'The Drawing of the Three' quite quickly now.
Then, on the 2nd, August, I bought three books from The Book Warehouse at Springwood:  'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peal Pie Society' by Mary Ann Schaffer, 'The Big Questions: Philosophy' by Simon Blackburn, 'The Big Questions: The Universe' by Stuart Clark'.  The last two books are of a series of books for people who want to read about the huge questions in life but have no real idea how to go about it all.  And seeing I have those burning questions and wouldn't understand it all if I took those classes in university, these books are something of a blessing for me.  Then, I scored the poetry book 'Heart Gifts from Helen Steiner Rice' for $2.00 at a jumble sale at the Home Festival at Kangaroo Point here in Brisbane just last Saturday.  And to make the purchase all the sweeter, it is a first edition!  How wonderful is that?
Then, on 10th August, I was sent 'The Golden Notebook' by Doris Lessing in memory of a wonderful Bookcrosser who suddenly passed away - and they had this book on their wishlist as well.  The book came all the way from Sweden to be with me.  I can't wait to read it!  It may be read over Christmas yet. 
And then, on this weekend just gone, I was presented with 'Dark Desires' 5-book series by Doug Cartwright; a wonderful friend of mine who is also an artist.  He said he spotted it in the jumble sale at the Home Festival for $5.00 and thought it was very me... and didn't want me to miss out on it and just bought it for me.  How sweet is that?  He's a lovely man and does that kind of thing for everyone he knows.  And you know, I've been looking at those books at QBD but they've been too expensive for me to buy; and I let him know that too.  
So, what have you bought this month or received?  Or have you been good and avoided the stores altogether?  Until my next post, happy reading!   

No comments:

Post a Comment