Saturday, June 7, 2014

Is This Really Going On?

I've read today on another site that there's a certain shaming that goes on about what genres people read.  

I simply can't believe this goes on.  Are we still in high school, where we are shamed for hanging out with the wrong people, hanging out with the geeks instead of the popular people?  No, I think not people.  Genres are there to let us know what is out there and what we read is totally up to us.

If I didn't read horror in high school, instead of 'Sweet Valley High' - like most of what the other girls read - I wouldn't be writing the works I write now.  I loved Stephen King when I was 16 years old, he scared me brilliantly as a teen, and still does today.  However, I was ridiculed for reading his work because it was for adults; not for teens to read.  My teachers thought I was ahead of my time; and didn't stop me from reading what I wanted - and my parents didn't either (well, okay, they had their limits).

But this was way back in the late 1980's.  I didn't think that this kind of genre shaming would be still occuring now.  And you know, I don't believe in telling people what they should be reading.  If they are happy reading what they love, let them read what what makes them happy.

In other words people, don't try and change somebody who has already happy.  This is also known as Tall Poppy Syndrome... it's happened to me too many times, and you know, I've cut off people simply because of how they make sure I'm miserable in life.  Sounds cruel - sure - but it's something I believe is best for me.

So, do tell... do you judge people on what they read?  Do you tell them to stop reading those silly little Young Adult books and to grow up and read something that's 'more their style' or do you leave those people alone and let them jump into 'Harry Potter' and 'Twilight' and allow them to enjoy the adventure they want and love?  So, you're not into the same genre as them... if we followed the same things, we'd be sheep, guys.  Please do leave your opinion on this subject, I'd love to know what you think.  Until my next post, happy reading.... whatever you want to read.   

No comments:

Post a Comment