Sunday, May 13, 2012

Broken Promises

Aarrgh!  I made myself a promise this year, and I've promptly broken it!  This doesn't look good, not good at all.  It's May and I've gone out and bought up to seven books this month; when I made myself the big promise not to buy too many each month and to try to read the ones I already have in my collection.  
However, with a reading slump that haunted me and more books than I know what to do with, I found myself cleaning up my house more than reading.  Isn't it strange how other things take over when you really don't have your nose in between the pages as you've promised yourself?
Now, though, I've begun reading again - three months after I found myself stuck - and I'm happily flying through another new book.  Yay!  But this means I've been buying books.  Darn!  I went out last week and forgot to take a book with me; so while I was out at Garden City, I thought to browse through QBD and promised myself not to buy anything; and yet, I came out of there with two books!  Jeez!  Will I ever learn?  I had to find a place to put these new additions to my collection.  Thankfully, one of them is a cookbook, so that wasn't too hard to put away as there's plenty of room in the cookbook shelf to fill.
So, have you promised yourself something like this - a ban on buying new books - and broken it just as easily?  Or was it something else you broke your own promise on?  Let us know.  Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment