Friday, October 19, 2012

Current Reads

I've been getting into some great reads this Spring.  Some have been holding my attention, while others haven't.  But all were either on my Mt TBR or came through the mail and were put ahead of that list because they were a bookring from Bookcrossing.  
The first book I've had my nose into was 'The Wastelands' by Stephen King.  This is third book of the Dark Tower Series and it's going really well so far.  I love the grittiness of it and the conflict between all the characters as they work with each other and the history hidden within Roland's mind.  This is a history that is slowly starting to eat away at Roland's sanity; and it's up to Eddie and Susannah to help their friend through it, to keep his mind on his target:  to get to the Dark Tower.
The next book I've been reading has been a struggle.  It's 'A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers' by Xiaolu Guo.  This book arrived in the mail and I started reading it while I was at Brighton on my week away.  However I found I couldn't concentrate on it.  It's been a tough one to get into.  And 70 pages in, I've unfortunately put it down.  The storyline hasn't really held my interest; however the imagery in it is beautifully written.
I've picked up a third book 'Crossing Paths' by Debbie Robson.  This book is going well so far, and I'm only around 30 pages into it.  Debbie is a good friend and Bookcrosser who decided it was high time to write a book about Bookcrossing.  Now, a lot of us Bookcrossers - me included - have been trying to figure out how to do this with our passion for books and Bookcrossing, however she has managed to do something we haven't.  So far, I'm enjoying this book.  The storyline pushed me right into the middle of her journey with characters who were fully-formed and jumped off the page at me immediately. I've been making time to get in some reading of this book - as well as 'The Wastelands' each day.  
So, that's what's I've been reading lately.  Seeing it's been so hot - and it will get hotter soon - I'm hoping to read more as the days move closer to Summer here in Australia.  Until my next post, happy reading.

2 comments:

  1. I'm deep into a Stephen King novel right now, too. I'm reading "11/22/63." Have you read it? He is a master storyteller, that's for sure. It's inspiring me to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I bought that the week it came out and found it was a great read; until around 3/4 through when he began repeating himself. I know he's trying out the Great American Novel; however, it's best if he just gets on with the story and stops wallowing in the details of what's gone on before.

      Sounds tough, but that's how it felt; and so I put it down.

      Delete