Monday, July 8, 2013

Reading Rules

Reading rules alright!  Sure it does!  I love it... but there's rules I also stand by with books and how I read them.  I mean, there's a certain way you have to treat a book so the next owner after you can get as much enjoyment out of that same book as you did... and so I follow a good set of rules which I haven't changed in around 20 years.

1.  Never dog-ear or fold a page in half in books.  My Grandpa used to tell me it kills books when I was little and that scared me enough to use a bookmark.  I cringe when I see somebody I don't know turn a corner... that's how much I hate dog-earing.

2. Spine-cracking is only for humans.  Cracking a spine of a book is a big no-no for me; leave that for a chiropractor to take care of.  Besides, I don't like to find a book with half its pages falling out because the glue has been cracked from its spine.

3.  Eating around a book is against the rules.  I don't eat around a book.  Being a bit of a clutz, I make it a rule that I don't because I might spill something on it.  So, it's a good idea not to either.  

4.  Writing or highlighting words, lines or paragraphs.  I don't care if you're using the book for your senior year in school, don't do this.  If you want to make a point, take note of the page number, paragraph number and write it out by hand, dammit!  I don't want to have your old high school notes cramming up the margins either.  I wouldn't do it to your new second-hand copy of 'My Place' by Sally Morgan, so don't do it to mine.

5.  Dust covers are used for a reason.  They protect the book... so while you're reading it, take the cover off and put it to one side.  Once you've finished reading it, put it back on and it'll still look great, new and pristine.  I do.

6.  Reading more than one book at a time... yep, I never used to do this, but I do now.  It's good to keep the mind in on more than one book.  I'm currently reading 'The Imaginings' by Paul D. Dail, 'The Wastelands' by Stephen King and 'Finding Pride' by a romance writer I don't remember the name of which I downloaded off itunes while I was recovering at Brighton.  Yep, three totally different types and styles of writing, and I'm reading them all now.  Weird, huh?

So, what are your rules you stick by?  Are they ones you've had for yonks? Or they new ones you've learned recently?  Do tell... loved to know your sworn-by rules.  Until my next post, happy reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment