Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Guilty Pile

As you've all read below, I've broken a toe on my left foot; and now I have a week or so to sit around get some serious reading done.  So, today, I pulled out my trusty backpack which traveled around the UK with me in 1997 and brought it upstairs with me to pack with the books that I've got by my bed.  All of these books have been started, but not finished.  These books are my Guilty Pile; the books that haven't been finished but were great when I started them.  Have you got a pile such as this? I'm sure you have and just haven't gotten around to finishing any of them.  
Well, my broken toe has given me the opportunity to get in and do some serious reading; starting with these books.  And here's the list:

'The Dreaming Void' by Peter F Hamilton
'The Troy Game: Hades' Daughter' by Sara Douglass
'11-22-63' by Stephen King
'The Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes In New England' by Brock Clarke
'Star-Begotten' by H.G. Wells
'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood
'Neuromancer' by William Gibson
'Redeeming the Rogue' by Donna MacMeans
'Owls Do Cry' by Janet Frame

So, there you go.  My pile of books that have been sitting by my bed waiting for me to finish them.  I'm ashamed to have let them stay there for so long and not finish them.  I hope to finish them - one by one - soon and let you in on how good they were.  Which books do you have that are sitting awaiting for you to finish them with a bookmark a quarter or halfway through them?  Have you picked them up and finished them, or are they still waiting for you?  Or did you do what I did and almost forget them?  Until my next post, happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. I have two novels that I began reading last year and have not finished reading yet... The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and Butterflies of Grand Canyon by Margaret Erhart. I vow to finish reading both books this year. The Kite Runner is a tough read, which is why I had set it aside and Butterflies of Grand Canyon was not at all what I was expecting it to be when I began reading it. Now that it has been awhile since I began reading either novel, I've forgotten about the plot details in each book and am hoping that I can continue where I've left off and pick up the storyline as I go instead of starting all over again from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you finish your two incomplete books and let us know what you think of them. I haven't read either books, but I have heard of one of them. Good luck with them. :D

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your broken toe -- ouch! But I suppose if there was a silver lining to this situation, you seem to have found it. And do I ever have a guilty pile. Way too many books to mention but the latest one is The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon.

    Happy reading and happy healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm a glass-half-full person. Wasn't always that way, but it's good to be one when problems like this arise. I've heard of the book you're trying to finish and I hope you get to finish it as well. I heard it's a good one. :)

      And thanks you for your healing wishes. :D

      Delete