Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Writers As Well As Readers?

Who amongst us here is a writer as well as a reader.  Well, I can put my hand up right now; as I have enjoyed the written word for a very long time in more ways than one.  When I was little I found reading an absolute pleasure, however, it was when the teachers at school put a pencil in my hand and taught me to write that reading and writing worked hand in hand.  I thought it was a magical world I had been allowed into and I found I didn't wish to let go of it.

Now, who has found that in the written language of books and writing itself?  You as well?  Great!  I'm not the only one who has felt that way.  

Over the last few years, I have found that I am writing more and more stories and books; and they aren't anything like what I wrote in my 20's.  These are more descriptive, mature and interestingly unusual ones.  I am writing about things I normally would be terrified of writing about; however now I'm not.  Have any of you had this happen to you?  Where you have found the taboos of youth have been stripped away as you have grown older and your fears are no longer fears and they seem silly compared to how you used to see them?
Books were the same way for me years ago.  When I was in my teens, Stephen King was the absolute of horror.  He scared me real good and kept me up at night.  However, there's other things that can do that to me - and other authors - as well he can and so the fear they describe is a lot different as I have grown.  And strangely enough, I have learned to pass that same kind of fear into my own writing in a similar way.
So, do you write books, novellas or poetry and short stories and enjoy reading books as well?  Or are you only a reader?  Would love to know.  Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment