Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Animal Reads

Over the weekend, my little bird lost her life to heart failure after suffering a stroke the week before.  Now, it's rare for Budgies to have strokes, but when one does suffer a stroke, they normally don't survive; and if they do, they are living on borrowed time.  My Little Miss Stevie lived for another week before dying in my hands while we sat outside watching the sunset on Saturday night at around 6:30pm... the very place she wanted to be - outside.  This little bird changed my life in the 7 3/4 years she had been with me in the most remarkable ways.  She taught me to trust, to love and to enjoy life again.

And this has brought me to today's post.  People who write books about their pets and animals they've lived or associated with in their lives and why they write these books.  I can't say I haven't read some of these books and haven't been affected by how these animals make me feel, but what I want to know is why do you read them?  Here's a list of some of the books I've read where the animal is the main character:

'The Bachelor's Cat' by L. F. Hoffman
'Marley & Me' by John Grogan
'My Dog Skip' - motion picture
'Codename: Millicent' by Bryon Williams
'The Dog Who Healed a Family' by various authors
'Red Dog' by Louis de Bernieres 

So, which one of my list have your read?  Or have you read ones I haven't got on there and you'd like to mention?  How did those books about animals change your way of life or how you saw animals in particular?  Until my next post, happy reading.       

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about Little Miss Stevie's passing!! Quite a shocker really. Sending you the best vibes.

    I love my two dogs and could imagine life without them quite truly.

    I haven't read any of the books from your list, but I have read the following 3 books about animals and highly recommend them:

    1. Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin Ph.D. This book was amazing. It gave me a whole new perspective about how the animal mind (nonhuman) works.

    2. Alex & Me by Irene Pepperberg Ph.D. Another phenomenal book about animal intelligence (a parrot in this case) and the bond between parrot and human.

    3. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien. It's a memoir about Wesley and O'Brien's bond with him. It was riveting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the condolences... the house has been feeling quite empty lately and I have been unable to sleep, let alone eat much lately. However, I'm working through the grief - which strangely enough - makes me feel ill in the guts.
      I have a wonderful and supportive family who are always there to help me through the roughest of times and they've told me that the worst is almost... all I need to do now is bury my little bird and I'll be on my way to owning a new one.

      However, I'm hoping to write a good piece about her in my life story soon. She's just been the most wonderful little addition to my life; and I don't ever wish to forget her; as she was a real character.

      Your chosen list of books sound great. I hope to look into them next year some time.

      Delete