Sunday, January 6, 2013

Christmas/NYE Reads

Over this time of year, no matter where you are in the world, it's always a good time to get in and catch up on your reading.  So, what did you get into?  
As for me?  There was no internet or WiFi to speak of because within the day of me arriving at Brunswick Heads, the free Wifi at the caravan park dumped itself.  Not fun at all!  But it gave me a chance to jump right into the books I took along to read.  And with one paperback book and two on my iPod, I was set to have a good time reading.

'The Life of Pi' is now showing at all the cinemas around the world; however, I wanted to read it first.  I know that sounds like a silly thing to do, but I love to read something before it's been turned into else by a director and screenwriters; before they miss what the author has been trying to tell us all along.  So, I got to read plenty of this book just before turning out the light.
Then, on my iPod, I had 'The Origin of Species' by Charles Darwin.  What a book it is so far!  I do recommend you read the introduction; as it sets up the book for you and he juxtaposes back to the intro all the time throughout the text.  But it's a wonderfully written piece of work; and at over 1,000 pages, I'm glad it's on my iPod and not in real book form or it would seem too much to read.
Another book on my iPod I have is 'Dream Pyschology' by Sygmund Freud.  I've always wanted to read some of his works; and what better works to read than his dream analysis?  I have admired this man for years and now I have a chance to understand him better through this wonderful work; and seeing there was no television, and even less entertaining radio shows around, I had a good chance to sit down by the Brunswick River and read.  In fact, everyone I saw on holidays did exactly that in the afternoons with a cup of coffee or tea by their side.  What a way to enjoy a balmy, afternoon in the shade by the river!  Sitting and reading a book!  Nothing like it!  Until my next post, happy reading!   

No comments:

Post a Comment