Thursday, August 22, 2013

Instore or Online

Recently, I was online looking at what some of my writer friends overseas had published and asked Chuck Wendig which of his books would be the best to start with in reading - as I didn't want to buy one and find that I had come in halfway through a series if he was writing his books this way.  He recommended 'The Blue Blazes' and 'Blackbirds'.  So, I jumped onto the QBD site and found his books were there! Yay!  But... when I found myself at the Garden City branch of the store the next time I was up there, they told me that I could only order his books off their online store; damn!  
There was another way:  I could order them instore but they could take up to 3 weeks to arrive; due to them being an overseas order.  Hey that was cool... I mean, I didn't mind waiting for that long.  So, I paid a deposit on the books to make sure they arrived, and then waited about 3 1/2 weeks for them to arrive today!  Very cool!

Now, I do this a lot. I look around online for things I want, then go out and find them instore.  And if I can't get them instore, I ask if they can order them in for me.  A lot of the times the store can get them in but it does take time and a small deposit.  

So, do you do this kind of thing?  Or do you do you most of your shopping online for your books, e-books or other products?  Seeing I don't have a debit or credit card, I like to go out to the shopping centres and take the time to enjoy the social aspect of book-shopping.  It's fun; and makes book-shopping very interesting too as you never know what you're going to find.  Until my next post, happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. Well when it comes to shopping for books, I enjoy shopping online and also in person.

    I love shopping at our local Friends of the Library in town because it is both close to home and books purchased support our local library. Plus, the books are super inexpensive, when you are on a tight budget.

    I also enjoy browsing independent bookstores because each store is so unique, which makes book browsing/shopping fun.

    Shopping online for books is just convenient and makes for a great way to send gifts to family for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete